In this episode of TheBACoach Podcast, I interview a prominent BA blogger who exemplifies true passion for the field of business analysis, Laura Brandenburg from Greater Denver area, USA. She came under my radar through her very popular blog, bridging-the-gap; and over the years she has persistently continued to provide great value and service to the BA community. She has helped countless number of professionals to start their business analysis career successfully.
I had a great time creating this interview with Laura, in spite of her busy schedule due to her new training ventures, she agreed to do this podcast. Here is the show:
Why she likes being a BA?
Enjoy the work of being a BA and believes in the underlying purpose of doing great business analysis.
Here is a sneak peek of the episode:
- Her transition from QA to BA
- Her work from being a newbie BA to working on a big project
- Business Analysts contributing to the ‘go green’ propaganda
- Her experience in publishing and content centric domains as a BA
- Why she doesn’t have a single domain as her favorite one.
- Securing stakeholder time – her biggest challenge as a BA, and how she overcomes it.
- Employer outreach by Denver chapter
- The Nr. 1 problem with BA resumes that Laura noticed evaluating 100s of resumes
- Three awesome tips to improve a BA resume
Insightful quotes from this episode:
“Sometimes as consultants there is this assumption that you come in with this omniscient knowledge of the world, and you can act in a vacuum. ”
“Moving from one organization or department to another, you become keenly aware of how limited your BA experience have been previously… ”
“Look at every ‘gig’ as a way to advance your skills in someway… ”
“You need to take responsibility of your own career development”
“Sometimes just walking into a new organization and having your world turn upside down, can be an enlightening experience”
Items mentioned in the show:
- Laura’s LinkedIn profile
- Follow Laura on twitter
- Link for three habits of successful business analysts
- Bridging the Gap – Laura’s blog for business analysts
Laura Brandenburg in brief:
Laura Brandenburg is a business analyst mentor and author of the free “3 Career Habits for Successful Business Analysts”, a primer to becoming a promotable business analyst. She hosts Bridging the Gap, a blog helping business analysts become leaders and advance their careers. She has 10 years of experience leading technology projects and has helped build business analyst practices at 4 organizations.
If you have any comments or questions for this episode, please post them below.
Enjoy the show!