Requirements are the cornerstone of a Business Analyst’s work. Requirements are elicited, defined, communicated, validated, documented, modeled, baselined, categorized, interpreted, analyzed, traced, managed and changed.
Requirements are the “necessary and sufficient properties of a business system that will ensure the business goals and objectives are met”. Getting It Right, Business Requirements Analysis Tools and Techniques provides an excellent overview of the process of requirements analysis and the tools and techniques to adequately analyze and manage requirements. It is one of a volume of books in the Business Analysis Essential Library series.
This book covers the fundamentals of the requirements analysis process from preparing for analysis to specifying requirements along with how to select and use requirements analysis techniques for your project. It provides best practice advice that is applicable to any methodology and any type of project.
I have been able to apply the principles and concepts in this book as I work on various projects and read it again from time to time when I need to refresh my knowledge. The book is a must read for a Business Analyst in any career stage and especially helpful for a new Business Analyst. It can be read “end-to-end” or used as a reference guide. The appendices provide useful templates as well.
- What is the Business Solution Life Cycle
- The stages of requirements analysis
- The importance of setting up a requirements analysis team and how to manage and archive requirements information
- The many types of requirements understanding models and tips for selecting the models that are appropriate to your project type
- Guidelines for specifying high quality requirements
- How to baseline and manage changing requirements
- Selecting the right requirements analysis techniques for your project
- How business analysis techniques align with the Zachman Framework
- Best practice tools and techniques and their benefits
- Clearly presented information
- Information that can be used right away
- Information that is relevant to any type of project or any type of methodology
- Information is aligned to the tasks and KA’s from the BABOK
- Very relevant reading for a BA with any level of experience
- Useful as a project reference guide
(Usefulness – 1 thru 5)
- TheBACoach team rates this book at a 5 (Highly Recommended)
Unprecedented CBAP-CCBA Study Guide, BABOK eMindmap, eTables, BOK Cartoons, Audio and Video. The Ultimate All-in-One Study Aid is here.
Go to top