As you maybe aware that BABOK V3 was launched by IIBA recently. The V3 attempts to reflect the latest developments and evolution in the profession of business analysis.
I had also reached out to the community to elicit any questions that they’d like to know about BABOK V3 and got an overwhelming response. You’ll see answers to some of these questions in the second half of this episode.
Kevin Brennan was with the IIBA when this episode was recorded, however, he has moved on to other opportunities and currently works for Sielevel.
Sneak Peek of the Episode
- Overview of the BABOK.
- Business Analysis in the context of a project (IT Project) – conscious decision for V2.
- How V2 knowledge areas align neatly to a project lifecycle.
- How V3 tackles other kind of business analysis.
- What business analysis looked like at the enterprise level (work done as part of Enterprise Business Analysis).
- Discussion around development process based on
- Canadian standards
- ANSI standards
- ISO based association
- IEEE / PMI
- International core team diverse members (agile, BPM, enterprise transformation, etc.).
- Infusing disciplines such as agile, Kanban, scrum,banning cycle, lean and six sigma, project & portfolio management, TOGAF, … etc. to find common elements.
- Thousands of comments… 2800 public comments incorporated (4500 in total).
- The latest version is something even non-BAs can read and follow and make sense of it.
- How do I actually apply this in the real world? How’s this applicable to a real BA?
- Strategy analysis knowledge area example walkthrough of how it’s relatable. Release cycle…
- What percentage changed after public review.
- BA Core Concept Model.
- The 90 seconds pitch for core concept model (25 min).
- BABOK V3 architecture.
- Tasks are the fundamental things that we do as business analysts
- How can a BA understand the relationship between the three (KAs, Perspectives, Core concepts)
- Perspectives a common set of methodologies for doing business analysis (how diff, order, and which techniques are most likely to be applicable)..
- Give guidance on how you actually do BA for a particular purpose using a theme
- Perspectives in V3 are not indented to be comprehensive
- Why and how distilled into 5?
- Looked beyond SDLC and how to do it.
- Community Q&As.
- How BABOK V3 is a big step in the direction to bring together all the community together.
Insightful Quotes from this Episode
“BABOK is Consensus based collection of business analysis body of knowledge.”
Enjoy the show and don’t forget to share this episode to your networks using the social sharing links.
If you have any comments or questions for this episode, please post them below.