- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Seven Steps to Getting Approved
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 1 of 7 – Begin With the End in Mind
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 2 of 7 – Read The CBAP / CCBA Handbook
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 3 of 7 – Essential BABOK Skimming
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 4 of 7 – Understanding the Five Core Eligibility Requirements
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 5 of 7 – Seven Easy Ways To Document Your Work Experience
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 6 of 7 – CBAP CCBA Application Worksheet Template
CBAP Application Real Stories
Cristine is a Sr. Business Analyst working in Toronto. She has had a very successful consulting business analysis career spanning over 12 years; 3 years of which have been in programming. She wants to do the CBAP as part of her goal, but is a bit overwhelmed with the application process. She would rather read articles about the greatness of CBAP that make her feel good, than start the dreaded application process (her own words). Even though she got a CBAP application worksheet from some of her friends to help her document the experience (one of which is a “premium” spreadsheet bought from a vendor) she is not really motivated to act.
Mark is a versatile business consultant. In his career spanning over 20 years, he has mostly been involved in coding, designing, and requirements analysis. His job title for most of his career has been “Systems Analyst” and “Business Consultant”. He is interested in applying for CBAP (Or CCBA) but feels inhibited by the job titles that he has held. He dreads rejection like a vampire dreads the daylight and doesn’t even tread the path of researching about the exam requirements because he has never held the title of a “Business Analyst” in his career.
Shilpa is a… OK, I am going to stop with real stories of fright, apprehension, and fear of rejection right here. These are real stories of some of The BA Coach community members applying for the CBAP/CCBA exam. And I am sure some of these may resonate with you or you may have your own story <<Imagine Your Story Here>>.
The point I am trying to make here is this: we all have our stories and excuses for not doing something when we decide to do something worthwhile (remember the 2012 resolutions?). For instance, I took nearly one year to just apply for CBAP. Although I was extremely motivated to write the exam, there were some intrinsic and extrinsic impediments to making this happen. Now, I’ve learnt better and know how to squash them, and that is the reason why this new series is written to help you.
A Series of Seven Steps To Get You Approved
In this new CCBA & CBAP application series of blog posts, I will help you, guide you, motivate you, show you step-by-step, shake you up, and assist you in getting your CCBA or CBAP application approved. You will see this broken down into seven concrete and very important steps. In this root post, I will be laying out a framework or outline for these seven steps and expand each of them as a separate blog post in the days to come. This will make the steps more digestible and – more importantly – implementable.
So, hang tight and lets get started.
Here are the seven steps that you must carefully follow in sequence (for the most part) in order to successfully approach the CCBA or CBAP Application process:
- The Absolute First Step - begin with the end in mind. In this post I will be explaining the importance of applying for the CBAP or CCBA exam. This is probably a more important step than the exam itself (yes, really); if you have listened to this BOK Talk episode I did with Kevin Brennan from the IIBA, you will get some clues.
- Read This Holy Grail of Application Info for CBAP or CCBA – don’t skip this step. Just don’t. In this post you will learn about a very critical and easy step that a lot of applicants miss. Taking this step can get you to the holy grail of application information. And, yes you can skip the 179 comments on LinkedIn to understand how to apply for CCBA or CBAP.
- Skim Through BABOK – essential skimming for application success. In this post I will walk through some important sections of the BABOK® that will help you with your application process. This is an important step in order to place your work experience in the right pockets of the application form.
- Understand the 5 Core Eligibility Requirements – CBAP or CCBA eligibility requirements demystified. In this segment I will walk through the core requirements of being eligible to apply for the CCBA or CBAP exam.
- 7 Ways to Easily Document Your Work Experience for CBAP – simple ways to group and roll up your work experience. You will learn about 7 different ways in which you can simplify seemingly complicated work experience. This post will end by introducing you to the CBAP Application worksheet – where all the action begins.
- CBAP Application Template – no I am not just sharing the template. You will see and learn how to use it too. In this segment you will learn about the CCBA / CBAP Application worksheet in detail. You will also be able to distinguish acceptable and non-acceptable activities / work experience.
- Taking Action and Just Applying – this is probably where I will motivate the heck out of you (hopefully) and urge you to take action.
What are your thoughts? Do you think I have covered all the aspects of applying for the CCBA or CBAP exam?
Please use the comments section below to leave your thoughts and additional feedback or suggestions.