- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Seven Steps to Getting Approved
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 1 of 7 – Begin With the End in Mind
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 2 of 7 – Read The CBAP / CCBA Handbook
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 3 of 7 – Essential BABOK Skimming
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 4 of 7 – Understanding the Five Core Eligibility Requirements
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 5 of 7 – Seven Easy Ways To Document Your Work Experience
- CBAP / CCBA Application Series – Step 6 of 7 – CBAP CCBA Application Worksheet Template
Here is a multiple-choice question for you:
While applying for CCBA or CBAP exam you should at a minimum read:
- Table of contents of BABOK.
- The entire BABOK at least once
- Knowledge area overviews
- Knowledge area and tasks overview
In this post, I would like to highlight the need and importance of reading the BABOK during the CBAP or CCBA application process and point out specific sections in the BABOK that you must read.
Why During the Application Process?
There are three phases of studying the BABOK in my view, the application phase of your CCBA or CBAP exam, the preparation phase and the exam phase. The first phase is important for the following two key reasons:
- Get a Sense of the Structure – surveying the BABOK during the application of your CCBA or CBAP exam will help you in getting acquainted with the structure of the BABOK. This will in turn help you to quickly locate information that you would need when you are in a position to start mapping things out. This will also onset your imminent CCBA / CBAP Prep.
- Mull-Over-And-Map – It is sometimes nice to have this information simmering in your subconscious to help you map your work hours with the knowledge areas and various constituents tasks.
Minimum Areas to Focus On
So, which areas are an absolute must to skim and/or read through? Let us examine the following sections from the BABOK:
- First Page of Every Knowledge Area – at the beginning of each knowledge area, there is a good description of what each knowledge area entails. This is good material for you to get an overview of how it would relate to your work experience (Page Numbers: 17, 53, 63, 81, 99 and 121 for the BABOK V2.o).
- ITO Diagram of Every Task – at the beginning of each KA there is an ITO (Inputs / Tasks / Outputs) diagram that gives a snapshot of ALL the inputs for all tasks of that KA (the left most box); and ALL the outputs for all tasks of that KA (the rightmost box). (Page Numbers: 17, 54, 63, 81, 99 and 121 for the BABOK V2.o).
- Inputs of a Task – you could use the inputs box in the ITO diagram for the most part. If you need more clarity you can optionally skim through the “Inputs” section of the tasks.
- Outputs of a Task – again the outputs box in the ITO diagram should suffice. However, since outputs are integral in your CCBA / CBAP Application process you may want to read more details in the “Outputs” section of each task.
Map Your Project Deliverables to Outputs
It is extremely valuable to approach the CCBA / CBAP application process with an attitude of self-reflection on your work experience and also your career path. For instance, as highlighted in step 1 of this series, you may begin to wonder “Is this all I have done?”. Create a list of all the deliverables that you have produced all along your experience. Use the KOD template mentioned below to map each deliverable to a KA.
The KOD Template
The KOD Template is a Knowledge Area, Outputs and Deliverables (or Work Products) template to help you map out the outputs of all KAs to the deliverables or work products that you would have produced. This also has a placeholder for listing out all the deliverables.
- Take a photocopy of the first page of each KA and start the reflection process
- Use the KOD document to list the deliverables and start mapping them to the relevant KAs
In summary, ensure that you read the minimum recommended areas of the BABOK, start the reflection process and use the KOD template to documenting your work experience at a high level.
Have you started the BABOK skimming process yet? What is stopping you? What are some of the challenges that you have faced / are facing while you did / are doing this?